Maskne is the New Acne
Grabbing the essentials before you leave your house now includes a face mask. Whether you’re wearing your mask at work or while you’re out shopping on the weekends, your face is battling COVID-19 just as much as you are. One of the side effects of wearing a face mask for an extended period of time is maskne (acne caused from wearing a mask). With oil and sweat building up under the mask, your skin is more susceptible to rashes, inflammation, and irritation.
While masks are doing a great job protecting us, they’re also creating a hot and humid environment for bacteria to grow. As oil and sweat build up under your mask, it starts to stick to the skin. The bacteria is then pushed into the skin through friction wherever your mask comes in direct contact with your skin. As the skin becomes more irritated and inflamed, that’s when you’ll start seeing breakouts along your jawline, nose and cheeks.
Luckily, with proper skincare you can help control and prevent maskne.
How to fight maskne
- Use a lightweight moisturizer.
- Wear a cotton or throw-away mask to reduce friction.
- Wash reusable masks after each use to reduce buildup and irritation. Avoid using fragrant detergents.
- Take probiotics to help with cystic acne.
How to treat maskne
The Centre, P.C. has designed a custom treatment plan to address maskne breakouts. Using Medical Grade Skin Care products with salicylic acid and glycolic acid will help protect your skin from mask-related irritants. These products have been hand-selected to help absorb excess oils, purify clogged pores, and hydrate the skin for a smoother, brighter appearance. For $315 (a $50 savings) you will be treated to a 3D Visia Skin analysis, a VI Peel and a ZO Skin Health acne kit.
VI Peel ($225+)
- Improves the tone, texture and clarity of skin.
- Helps clear acne skin conditions.
- Reduces or eliminates acne scars.
- Stimulates the production of collagen for firmer, more youthful skin.
- Adds a healthy glow to the skin.
- Treats skin problems at the cellular level.
ZO Acne Prevention and Treatment Program ($140)
- Exfoliating Cleanser – This gentle exfoliating cleanser is perfect for normal to oily skin. The jojoba esters and encapsulated vitamin E works to target surface oil leaving the skin feeling clean, but not stripped and dry.
- Exfoliating Polish – Magnesium crystals exfoliate dead skin cells to create a clear, smooth and even toned complexion.
- Complexion Renewal Pads – Dual action moistened pads designed to remove dead skin cells preventing clogged pores, reducing oiliness and minimizing surface oil all while calming and soothing irritated skin.
- Complexion Clearing Masque – Natural, clay-based masque that purifies pores and absorbs excess oil that can lead to future breakouts, while hydrating the skin to combat dryness. Can be used as a spot treatment.
This one-of-a-kind maskne prevention and treatment program can be purchased through our online store.
Call 574-968-9100 or contact us online to schedule your facial and pick up your maskne kit. Clear skin is waiting for you at The Centre, P.C.!