Everything You Need to Know About Facials
Facials are a simple and cost-effective way to keep your skin looking young and radiant. They help alleviate the effects of sun and stress while cleaning and moisturizing your skin.
Whether you’ve had a facial before or this is your first one, the estheticians at The Centre Yourself Medical Rejuvenation Spa are here to make your experience relaxing and enjoyable.
Benefits of Facials
There are many reasons why facials are beneficial. Some of the most common benefits include:
Facials are cleansing. By working deep into your skin, facials clear out your pores, removing grease and dirt buildup. Facials can reduce the size of your pores, stopping further acne formation.
They improve your circulation. Manipulating your facial skin increases the flow of oxygenated blood. This helps your body develop new skin cells and give you a healthy glow.
Facials are great for exfoliating your skin. They make your skin feel smoother, break down dark spots, and nourish dry skin. Exfoliation also makes it easier for your skin to absorb products like moisturizers or serums.
They give you a chance to get a professional’s opinion. A trained esthetician will advise you on skincare products and help you develop a home skincare routine.
Facials can be anti-aging. While you can’t stop aging, frequent facials can slow the process down. Combining your facial with a procedure like laser skin rejuvenation can tighten skin, remove dead cells, increase collagen production, and smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
They make you feel amazing. Facials can give you some much needed “me time” that’ll help you relax.
What Facials Can’t Do
Despite the numerous benefits, facials are not a miracle treatment. They can improve the look and feel of your skin, but there are some problems they can’t fix. The following is a list of things facials can’t do:
- Eliminating acne. Facials can stop acne from worsening, but they can’t get rid of acne or acne scars.
- Replace injectables. Facials can’t take the place of Botox, Restylane, or Juvéderm® XC
- Rid your skin of discolorations. While facials can fade age spots and other discolorations, they can’t permanently remove them.
- Replace a facelift. Facials make your skin look and feel tighter temporarily, but they can’t lift sagging skin like a facelift can.
- Get rid of dark circles. Unfortunately, facials don’t do anything to remove those dark circles under your eyes or reduce puffiness.
Risks of Facials
There are very few risks associated with facials. Those that exist are minor and include:
- Red or blotchy skin
- Minor scarring
- Dry, itchy skin
- Allergic reactions to facial products
It is important to note that having facials too frequently can overwhelm your skin and cause it to dry out. In general, facials are recommended every 4-6 weeks because the outer layer of your skin regenerates every 28 days or so. Ask your esthetician how often they recommend having a facial based on your age and skin type.
During the first 48 to 72 hours after a facial, you’ll notice your skin has a healthy glow. Improved skin texture and appearance can be seen 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure. Having a healthy, daily skin care routine will preserve the benefits of a facial. Your esthetician can advise you on what do at home to keep your skin looking great.
Remember, some redness or light swelling after a facial is normal. This should clear up within a few days, but you should consult with your esthetician if it doesn’t.
Getting a facial can be intimidating if you’ve never had one. The following tips will help you prepare for your procedure:
- Don’t wax before your facial. Waxing irritates your skin and can make your facial painful.
- Stay out of the sun for a few days. Your skin requires time to rest after being exposed to UV rays, so don’t go to the beach or a tanning salon the day before your procedure.
- Avoid Botox 48 hours prior to your procedure. Part of a facial is a relaxing massage, which can’t be done if your body is still adjusting to facial injectables.
- Don’t exfoliate at home. You’ll get plenty of exfoliation during your facial, so avoid harsh or abrasive products for a few days prior to the procedure.
- Be ready to talk about your skin. During your facial, your esthetician will ask what your current skin care routine is and what your goals are for your skin.
- Men should shave. Shaving the night before will ensure smooth skin and allow your esthetician to give you a proper massage.
Schedule Your Next Facial
At the Centre Yourself Medical Rejuvenation Spa, we offer a variety of facials suited for all needs and skin types. If you’ve been neglecting your skin, now is the perfect time to schedule a facial and get the professional care you deserve. Contact us to schedule your facial today.