Facial Do’s and Don’ts
Life can be tough. From time to time, it deals us sleepless nights, cluttered minds, tired muscles, and creaky joints. The stresses of daily life take their toll in a variety of ways; but did you know that the condition of your skin can be one of the most tell-tale signs of stress your body shows on the outside?
No matter how your skin reacts to stress, the message it’s trying to send you is usually the same: we need a break. A relaxing and rejuvenating facial could be just what you need to give yourself, and your skin, a much-deserved treat.
Scheduling your first medical facial can be a little bit intimidating, but there’s nothing to be concerned about. Facial treatments are a widely practiced and well-rehearsed procedure that can leave your skin feeling and looking younger than before.
Read on to find helpful Dos and Don’ts, information on different skin types, and tips to help make your first facial experience at The Centre PC a great one!
Different Kinds of Facials vs. Different Skin Types
Your skin is part of who you are and absolutely unique to you. Your skin type is a product of your genetics, your lifestyle, and the environment in which you live. You probably know how your skin behaves under normal conditions, but do you know which facial is right for your skin type?
Normal Skin: “Normal” skin just means that you don’t experience excessive amounts of oil, nor do you usually experience dryness or flaky skin. If this is your skin type, the options are fairly open to you.
Dry Skin: Those with dry skin want to stay away from facials that focus on deep exfoliation. These can be a little too rough for skin type and can cause some irritation. Instead, ask your esthetician for a moisturizing facial that can help your skin retain more moisture and feel softer.
Oily Skin: Those with oily skin need a facial that can help cut through the oil and remove some of the surplus oil lurking under the skin. Chemical exfoliations can aid in this endeavor because they can get deep into the pores.
Mature Skin: As you age, the circulation and the rate at which your face produces fresh skin cells begin to slow down. Because of this, your skin care specialist will likely choose an option that allows him or her to treat your skin type and then focus on improving the skin’s appearance with a mixture of products.
Sensitive Skin: All this means is that your skin might take a little more care and personalized attention than some. Facials for those with sensitive skin usually include gentle exfoliation and steer clear of products with perfumes or heavy chemicals.
What Should I Do to Prepare?
There are a few steps you can take before going in for your first facial. Consider these, and your experience will be both effortless and pleasant:
- Do your research. When dealing with something as precious as your skin, you’ll want to make sure you’re choosing a facility that knows what they’re doing. The licensed skin health professionals at The Centre PC have years of combined experienced and will medically analyze your skin to determine which treatment option is best for you.
- Know which areas need targeting. Maybe you have some enlarged pores around your nose or dark circles under your eyes. No matter what the reason, be prepared to tell your esthetician about any areas you would like to pay special attention to.
- Discontinue chemical exfoliators. About 3 days before your facial appointment, you should stop using any products that include chemicals like Retin-A, Glycolic Acid, and Lactic Acid.
- Don’t use any products the morning of. Keep your routine light on the day of your appointment. You can wash your face with a simple cleansing product, but leave out any other products you may use.
- Don’t wear makeup. Makeup can clog your pores and will have to be removed before the procedure anyway.
- Get there early. Depending on where you go, you may need to fill out some paperwork and a brief medical history before your facial. Since the idea behind getting a facial is to relax, plan on being early to minimize stress and the urge to rush.
What Can I Expect During My First Facial?
The most important thing to remember on the day of your first facial is to relax and have a good time.
To better help you do that, here are some of the main things you can expect to happen during the course of your treatment:
- Be ready for a brief consultation. When you first arrive, your licensed skin care health professional will want to chat about your skin type, your skin care routine, and any concerns you may have about your skin.
- Be prepared to get comfy. Most spas and skin care facilities will provide you with a comfortable robe so that you can let yourself unwind. Don’t hesitate to take advantage of this opportunity!
- Turn off your phone. This is as much for your skin care specialist as it is for you. Turn off your phone and let the rest of the world take care of itself.
- Get ready to settle in. Most facials involve some combination of cleansing, exfoliating, massaging, and the application of a mask. A good facial can take anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours, depending on what you’re having done. Be patient and enjoy the process.
- It’s going to get steamy. Estheticians use steam to relax the skin and make it easier to work with. The steam may be a bit overwhelming at first but it’s worth it in the end.
- Sometimes extractions are necessary. If you have some blackheads or whiteheads lingering under the skin, your esthetician will probably try to extract them. This can be slightly painful at first but will save you the trouble of dealing with it later.
- Don’t hesitate to communicate. While the licensed skin care professionals at The Centre PC (and most spas) go through extensive training to care for your skin, they aren’t mind readers. If something hurts, burns, or stings during your facial, please let us know.
What Should I Expect Afterwards?
Since you’ve invested in a quality medically rejuvenating facial and thoroughly enjoyed yourself, you’ll probably want it to last as long as possible.
Below are some tips that can help you accomplish that, both immediately afterward and in the days that follow:
- Don’t wash your face that night. Your skin needs a chance to relax. Your facial will have left it quite clean, so there’s no need to wash your face before bedtime.
- Don’t put makeup on for a while. Avoid makeup, at least for the first day. You can use it after that, but why not take this as an opportunity to flaunt your new, glowing skin.
- Avoid exfoliating for a few days. This is especially true if your facial included deep exfoliation.
- Know that redness is normal. Be prepared for some redness. This is normal, but do speak to your skin care professional if it seems excessive or lasts several days.
- Drink plenty of water. This will help keep your skin refreshed and hydrated.
- Stay out of the sun, if you can. The new skin cells exposed by your facial are sensitive. Give them a few days out of the sun and, if you have to go out, use a high SPF sunscreen.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Along with drinking water, using a gentle facial moisturizer can help lock hydration in and keep your skin feeling beautiful.
- Keep up a healthy skin care routine. Just as you’d take extra special care of your teeth after a dental cleaning, take extra special care with your skin after a facial. A good routine can help the effects of a facial last longer.
Facials Designed Just for You
Scars, wrinkles, and imperfections are part of your unique identity. Your skin can show that you’ve lived a life worth living, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to improve your skin’s overall health.
Taking the time to care for your skin can be one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Relaxation, rejuvenation, and expert care can go a long way towards helping you, and your skin, feel young, vibrant, and energetic.
At The Centre PC, we know how important relaxation is. That’s why all facials performed at Centre Yourself are completed in a tranquil environment by our warm and friendly staff.
Our licensed skin health professionals will work with you to determine what regimen is best for your skin and which of our medically rejuvenating facials will deliver the results you desire.
See what facials we have to offer and schedule your next appointment online. Don’t wait; healthy vibrant skin is just a click away.